Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Spring Break in the Mountains
Okay, since apparently I am not as tech savvy as thought, I have posted pictures from our trip to Asheville in subsequent postings. I believe the family consensus is that we enjoyed our trip, but for different reasons. Larry originally picked Asheville because it was a central location for his rock hunting expeditions. And yes, before you scratch your head in bewilderment, my husband has exposed yet another side to his nerdiness. He had lots for fun hunting for different minerals and "gems" in the mountains of North Carolina. Much to the dismay of Larry and AJ, we visited the Biltmore. It was about 1 hour and 59 minutes too long for both of them. However, we all enjoyed having lunch in the converted stables...we actually ate in a renovated stall. AJ enjoyed sliding the table back and forth about 50 gazillion times and Larry patiently tried to ignore the spectacle that we always seem to make. I also really enjoyed visiting Whitewater Falls. It is actually the highest water fall east of the Rockies (411 ft. to be exact) and the 1/2 mile trek was definitely worth it, even with AJ constantly squeaking that he was too tired to walk anymore. During our visit to the mountains, we also walked to the top of Mount Mitchell, which happens to be the tallest peak east of the Mississippi. The weather driving to Asheville was in the 40's, but by the time we got to the top of Mitchell, the car registered 20 degrees. It snowed the whole time we were hiking, and the trail was covered in sheets of ice. The kids were definitely not happy with us, but at least it will be something they remember. However, they will gladly tell you that the best part of the trip was the pool at the hotel. As a matter of fact, when AJ was asked what he did over break, he told the teacher that he went to some hotel and swam in the pool. He couldn't remember where he went or anything else that he did on vacation. Guess I should look for hotels with pools during our move to Texas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Great pictures! Despite the cold, it sounds like you had a great time. We recently did a 1 hr 45 min tour of some caverns here in Texas and I think the tour was 1 hr 44 min too long for Brian & Chase. Too funny!
Your break sounds like fun. I remember going to the Biltmore estates with my parents. I was probably a year older than Lexi. It made quite an impression on me. I think we all liked it, though. We had pictures hanging in our living room for years that my dad took in the gardens.
What I most remember about that trip (we drove from Arkansas to Florida, stopping frequently to see many things along the way, I mean a lot of stops. I remember staying in Memphis-going to Graceland, Nashville-going to Opryland, and Gatlinburg, plus Asheville and Savannah, I'm sure there were more) was that my parents would try to find places with pools and we went to Baskin Robbins whenever we could.
Yeah, it definitely helps to add more kid friendly stuff to the trip. As "fun" as everything may seem, nothing beats a pool and some ice cream.
Yeah, we had ice cream because my dad loves it, not really for the kids.
Post a Comment