Saturday, June 04, 2011
Bittersweet
Bittersweet is a new word that has entered our vocabulary. The kids and I discussed its meaning on the way to school about a week ago, and it has been hanging around in the back of my mind ever since. Being a military wife, I have become accustomed to the eventual separation from friends and leaving a familiar place behind. Yet, somehow this time it seems a little more substantial. I suppose it is because the kids are older and El Paso has become a place that will remain as solid, unforgettable memories in their mind. For better or for worse, El Paso has left a mark on us that will not soon be removed. As we begin our new adventure, it is with excitement that we look ahead to what awaits us in a new state and with sadness that we leave behind friends and good times.
In the last year, we have watched our daughter's soccer skills improve exponentially. We have also had the opportunity to get to know and bond with some really great parents and young ladies. Lexi's soccer team has been competing in local and regional soccer tournaments, each time taking second place in their age group. The Rattlers will be missed.
We have spent the last three years in the southwest, trying and absolutely loving the food. I know we will all miss the wonderful Mexican food, steaks, brisket, and local fast food places that we'll not be able to frequent once we move back east. In the future, we'll have to come back and visit New Mexico and Texas just to eat the food. Our wallets will also be taking a hit when I'm special ordering pistachios, sauces, meat, and tortilla chips. Two of my biggest regrets are not having the gordita plate at L & J's one last time and not being able to travel to McGinn's pistachio farm for some of the best pistachios we've ever tasted.
We've enjoyed our time here, if for no other reason than to have Larry home for longer than 4-5 months a year. Through his job, we were able to meet and get to know some nice people. One of the highlights of our time here was the monthly (or so) work lunches where all the friends in Larry's office would go to L & J's. Typically, these were on Friday afternoons and we'd spend an hour or so talking and being entertained by someone's latest stories. We met one last time last Thursday for Larry's farewell lunch. The guys in Larry's office got together and had a walking stick made for him. It is probably one of the best and most thoughtful farewell gifts he has ever received.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gosh, moving can really stink. I can only imagine how it would be with a 4th grader. When are you headed out? I hope you are still planning to drive through Tulsa on the way!
Cherie,
I know too well what you are feeling right now! We've been back in NC for a year and I am finally starting to feel settled. I hope the kids aren't too terribly sad. And I am sure you & Larry will make the best of your next adventure!
Post a Comment