The past two months have flown by. I really don't even know where the time went. We added another cat to the family in September because Whiskey just couldn't handle the solo life after Tiger died in May. It has taken a little while, but I think Bob (Bobby Purr is his official name) has gotten used to the craziness in our house. Although, I don't think he will ever get used to the big ball of crazy that is Sophie. Since September, I have been making an effort to reintroduce sewing into my life. It has been a LONG time since I have actually sewn more than a button or mended a rip. I started off strong, but my machine revolted by breaking for two weeks, but luckily I'm married to the handiest man I know (he has repaired the refrigerator, fixed my sewing machine and changed the clutch on the jeep in the past three months) and we were soon back on track. By the end of October, I had crafted two birthday presents for my grandmother, made an Alice in Wonderland costume for Lexi, made a mailman bag for AJ and crocheted animals for the kids. It has been a frustrating, yet fulfilling journey and I hope to continue sewing and challenging myself with new projects. It is actually a shame that I have let such basic skills fall by the wayside. My grandmother would be highly disappointed in my lack of skill after so many lessons under her tutelage. But then again, it will come back, much like riding a bike. I just need to use it before I lose it completely. At some point, I would like to relearn hand embroidery, but I need to practice my hand sewing skills first. Baby steps, baby steps. Also, I have noticed that the cats, as aloof as these two can be, actually like me. I am used to and still dearly miss the clingy nature of Tiger. He was forever in my lap and requesting love. After his death, it became painfully obvious just how much I adored his attention. Unfortunately, I think it will be many years before my two young ones ever seek the comfort of my lap. However, I have proof that they are starting to bond with me through their constant close proximity, especially during my moments of creation. It actually warms my heart and puts a smile on my face. Isn't it amazing how deeply pets can touch our lives, even through the slightest of gestures?
Monday, November 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment