Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Friday, July 03, 2009

Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona





Words or pictures cannot adequately describe the Grand Canyon, yet we tried in vain to capture it. Our visit to Grand Canyon National Park was definitely an experience. Within 5 minutes of arriving, I learned that a fear of heights is still firmly rooted in my psyche and I ventured no closer than 10-15 feet to the edge. When our Ranger led Fossil Expedition took us on a trail closer to the edge than my self imposed restriction, I began to feel light-headed and very panicky. I found the best way to handle the situation was to look to the left and when viewing the canyon, I would look far off into the distance instead of down the canyon wall. Needless to say, there were signs everywhere warning of the dangers of walking too close the edge.

Immediately after I took this picture, we noticed a young woman who had climbed down the side to have her picture taken with the canyon in the background. Guess the signs aren't very effective. Of course, I wouldn't think anyone should have to be told not to venture close to the edge, but apparently common sense wasn't handed out in equal proportions among the general population. We also enjoyed our Ranger led fossil expedition (a Ranger led walk was required for the kids to get their badges). The Ranger led us to an area not far from the lodges that was full of fossils. The fossils are evidence that at one time the entire portion of northern Arizona had been under the ocean. The kids had a lot of fun looking for "seashells" cemented in the rock. I would definitely recommend this walk for anyone with children. After receiving their Junior Ranger certificates and badges, we headed out from the main visitors' center and drove to several other lookouts that offered equally spectacular views of the canyon.

0 comments: