Friday, July 03, 2009
Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona
Petrified Forest National Park was our last stop before heading home on our journey. It is a beautiful park, especially with its views of the Painted Desert. We visited Petrified Forest on Friday, camped out that night and left Saturday morning. On our hike to and from the campsite, we saw rattlesnakes--one while hiking in and one while hiking out. The first one had hidden itself beside a piece of petrified wood and went unnoticed by everyone but me (the caboose). If you look closely at the picture of a petrified tree trunk, you will see the snake coiled up on the left side of the trunk. It is hard to spot at first, but look for a waffle-like pattern on a "rock" next to the trunk and it should become clearer. You may have to pause the slide show in order to see it. I did not see the snake at first, but as I glanced at the trunk along our path, my mind said that something was not right about what I saw. I looked again and immediately saw the snake. It scared me and I yelled for Larry. He came back and took the picture while I kept the kids at a safe distance. Luckily, our camping trip had much less shocking events after the snake sighting. The next morning we came across another rattlesnake slithering over our path. Larry spotted it first as he is the conductor of the crazy train. All in all, it was nice family vacation. Everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves as we traveled 2600 miles in a little over a week visiting 9 national parks/monuments with Legoland thrown in for good measure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment