Life has become very hectic for us, or perhaps I should say it has become hectic for me. The transition to middle school and no longer having both children in the same school actually requires more of my time than I had imagined. I leave home at 7 am to walk Lexi to school, return home and finish getting AJ ready (approximately 15 minutes), then we walk to his school. When it's all said and done, I've walked 4 miles and spent 1.5 hours making sure the kids are squared away and in their respective schools. It starts all over again at 2:20 when I walk another 4 miles and spend another 1.5 hours getting the kids home. Now I'm not complaining. I actually enjoy walking with the kids because it gives me time to interact with them one on one and they're not competing for my attention. It's mostly that I hadn't realized just how much our routine would change or how much easier it is to have both kids in the same location. They actually won't be in the same school again until AJ's a freshman and Lexi's a senior. That seems like a long way off but I know it will be here in the blink of an eye.
Another element in our hectic lives is commitment to sports. AJ now has football 3 days a week and Lexi has soccer 2 days a week. When their practices fall on the same day, I spend about an hour and forty minutes driving to football practice, dropping off AJ, driving to Lexi's practice, dropping her off, driving back to AJ's practice, picking him up, and then returning to Lexi's practice to wait until she is dismissed. Add in traveling back to the house and I'm spending over 2 hours in the car. I can tell you one thing, the Saturn's seats are not as comfortable as they could be. It makes me want to drive the Jeep (by far the most comfortable ride of the 3 cars) but without AC we are dying. I spend way too much time sweating (the better part of 3 hours) during the day to sweat for another 2 hours driving around this sauna we call home.
Tonight, we were lucky because only AJ had practice. We ate early (4 pm) and headed out the door. It seems that no matter when I leave the house, I always arrive at his practice at the same time. The traffic is very congested at that time of day and I'm usually held up by lights or slow drivers. But never fear, we make it on time and beat several stragglers every practice. Tonight, I ran while Lexi read and watched our kit, and then we switched places and she ran. I think we will both appreciate when the weather turns. I got very spoiled in KS running in the early morning when it was cool and less humid. Tonight was in the upper 80's but the heat index had us in the mid 90's. I can't wait for the fall weather to get here. Did I mention that I'm tired of sweating?
Here is little man running the ball for a tackling practice. Follow the yellow socks.
Here he is doing the tackling. I think football wasn't quite what he expected, but he isn't complaining much, which says a lot.
Lexi reading after running. I had to sneak this picture because she never lets me take her picture without the threat of death and even then it's a battle.
Little man after practice tonight. He was much happier this evening.
At the end of last night's practice. He was NOT happy. I think practicing in full pads and his helmet wasn't what he expected.
Finding Nemo is much easier these days. He's big enough that the other fish can't eat him, but he's still a little skittish and darts around most of the time he's not in the plants or the barrels. This behavior makes it very difficult to take his picture.
*This post is brought to you by the bedroom PC which is now fixed, though it's having some quirky issues. As long as it doesn't need to be restarted, I think I'm in the clear. The pictures and video in this post are brought to you by my iphone which is in the red for available memory space. I have over 1350 pictures/videos on it, but it won't properly download to the bedroom PC so I'm at a loss as to how to copy them to a safe location so I can delete them off the phone. It had a great working relationship with my now dead laptop, which has all the phone pictures except the last 30 or so that I've taken since it died. I miss my laptop and my phone misses my laptop. Sophie even said she misses the laptop and Mr. Whiskers mourns its passing every night as he walks through the house crying. I sure wish my IT guy were here to fix it.
0 comments:
Post a Comment